Friday, July 16, 2010

Oh Yea, It's Sand Plum Jam Recipe.....


Its nearly noon and the aroma of simmering sand plums are filling the air as I breath it in deeply. The anticipation of the sweet tart jam makes all those scratches, from that wild thicket fade away.


As I peer into that pot of sweet bubbling fruit, I can't help but to think..... "Now, where oh where could I plant a few bushes..."   I shake myself back to reality.


I must confess, I have never made sand plum jam, and have no recipe to follow. So I'm doing what I do.... And winging it! Crossing all my fingers and toes hoping for the best!




My first batch of sand plum jam.....  And it tastes heavenly!  A perfect combination of sweet and tart!

Ingredients:
4 lb of ripe wild plums
2 lb of white granulated sugar
1/2 pint of water




  1. Wash the plums and discard any damaged fruit.
  2. Slit the plums with a knife. This will allow the stones to float to the surface during cooking so that they can be easily removed.
  3. Put plums sugar & water into a large heavy bottomed saucepan (or preserving pan) and heat very gently until the sugar has dissolved.
  4. Bring the jam to the boil and continue to boil very rapidly for about 8-10 minutes until the jam reaches setting point. At this stage carefully remove the stones as they float up to the surface, with a slotted spoon. Or mash threw a colander.  (What is setting point? See tricks and tips below).
  5. When the jam has set, carefully pour into warm, sterilised jars, using a ladle or small jug leaving 1/4 headspace. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean towel
  6. Cover the jars with tight fitting screw-top lids, .Hot water bath for 15 mins.
  7. when cooled test for seal (press the center of the lid it should NOT Pop!  and store in a cool, dark place, away from damp.
    Tips and tricks:Jam “set” or “setting point”:Getting the right set can be tricky. I have tried using a jam thermometer but find it easier to use the following method. Before you start to make the jam, put a couple of plates in the fridge so that the warm jam can be drizzled onto a cold plate (when we make jam we often forget to return the plate to the fridge between tests, using two plates means that you have a spare cold plate). Return the plate to the fridge to cool for approx two minutes. It has set when you run your finger through it and leave a crinkly track mark. If after two minutes the cooled jam is too liquid, continue to boil the jam, testing it every few minutes until you have the right set.
    Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment