Thursday, October 14, 2010

Broccoli & Cauliflower leaves.... Eatable??

YES, They are!   
I asked this question on facebook yesterday,
 wondering if any of my friends had ever eaten them.   
I had someone send me links to some sites about eating these leave.
 Well, that was enough for me... 
I told the kids what I was up to and they wanted in!
 Oh Yah! (Big smile from the mama!)

First we started with the picking. 
(Photos by my oldest daughter) 

Next, I washed the greens. (Not shown)
Then peeled them... 
The stems are called "the poor mans asparagus" 
which sounds to me that they might be a little tougher then what I want in my greens. 
But defiantly have their place in the kitchen.
 So OFF with their heads! 
I also ripped them into 3-4 inch large piece.






I also read that the greens might have a bitter taste.  So I filled a pot with cold water & leaves. I brought this to a boil. Once it came to a boil I dipped the greens out and added them to ice cold water. 







Next I drained the greens .... and gave them a good squeeze!




                                                                                          Then I gave them a chopping.

Fried some Bacon....  As my hubby said, Bacon makes everything taste better.


I then add the green to the bacon, added some garlic and sautéed them for about 3-5 mins. 
This gave them a nice crunch. Just the way I like my veggies.



Still amazes me something I once thought to be uneatable, 
something that would just find its way into the compost, could taste so good.

Until Next Time, 


Amy




1 comment:

  1. I have eaten both of those and also Brussel Sprouts and Kohlrabi. I have also used the green tops from carrots in a soup.

    ReplyDelete